There was an error in this gadget

Friday, 7 October 2011

Just Writing

 Writers should be read, but neither seen nor heard…Daphne du Maruier

I love the above quote because I believe that is the way it should be. Many years ago when a writer struggled over their stories and passed them on to an editor or a publisher, then that was it. The publisher took over then.

Once they accepted this writer and offered a contract, the rest was up to the publisher to make sure that it was edited properly, and  the cover would be exactly what would represent the novel.

The author would move on to another new novel and write until the cows came home. After all, that was their job…to write. They didn’t have to be a professional editor, or an artist that would decide what cover would depict the story. All they had to be was a writer.

Oh the old days. I am sure many a writer must long for them. But that was the past and this is the present. Today so many things hang on the writer’s shoulders that no wonder they have a hard time concentrating on the next novel.

And when you are an indie publisher everything is on your shoulders. Personally I like the fact that I can decide what cover my novel will display. Sometimes though I do have an idea that I can’t properly display as a cover, and I know that I could if I should take more time and someday I am going to have to come to terms with that one. Someday there is going to be a novel that I don’t have a cover idea for and I am going to then have to come to the fact that I need help or that I need to hone up my artistic skills and make it.

But back to the main point of this post which is what a writer really should do. It is such a shame that we, as writers, have to spend our time doing other stuff, when what we should be doing is writing.

If I should have by some miracle in the past contracted with a big publisher and had to do book signings in a number of different cities and towns and malls I would have hated it.

Being an introvert, I do better at just writing. I would have put up with it, but the travelling would have been so tiring. If I had wanted to spend my life socializing with people I would have been a politician.

So what do you think, all you writers? Would you rather just write, or do you like the idea of being in control of everything that has to do with your book from day one to the finish and onward?

With the surge of online publications these days, it looks like the writer is being left on their own to take over and not only write but to also edit, submit, publish, and then market.

So whatever your preference, Happy Writing and Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment